Back to All News & Events

Transitioning from postgraduate training to independent practice

Back to Messenger
April Messenger 2024 | Posted April 11, 2024
Read time: 1 minute

As medical learners in the final stages of postgraduate training, you likely have a lot on your mind. If one of those questions is how to apply for independent practice in Alberta, look no further. CPSA’s Registration team is here to support you with this next step in your career.

First and foremost, when transitioning from Canadian postgraduate training to independent practice, you cannot begin work without a valid practice permit. Although similar, registration requirements in each Canadian province or territory are different. Please ensure you are following the requirements for the jurisdiction(s) you would like to work in.

Applying for independent practice in Alberta:

  1. You will receive an email from CPSA ( 90 days before your postgraduate program end date. Please verify that CPSA has your correct email address. If the email address listed in your CPSA Portal is incorrect, please update it as soon as possible. Please also mark CPSA as a safe sender to ensure you receive all communication pertaining to your registration.
  2. Following the instructions in the email, use your account to fill out a Review of Qualifications. CPSA only accepts Review of Qualifications and applications through
  3. Once you submit your Review of Qualifications, a CPSA Registration Team Lead will review your submission. They will email you an eligibility letter and further information on if you may be eligible, including what documents are required.In the event you fail a Canadian certifying exam (e.g., CCFP, FRCP(C), FRCS(C)), you may still be eligible for CPSA’s Provisional Register by undergoing a 3-month Supervised Practice Assessment which includes securing sponsorship.
  4. Within 30 days of receiving your eligibility letter, you must submit your application form through Within 365 days of receiving your eligibility letter, you must submit any supporting documentation listed on your eligibility letter. If you do not submit this documentation, your file will automatically close, and you will have to submit a new Review of Qualifications form and pay the applicable fee to restart your application.
  5. Once you’ve submitted your final documentation, you will complete a few short Orientation courses through CPSA’s online learning platform, MyCPSA.
  6. Upon receipt of your registration fee, you will receive your practice permit and may begin working in independent practice!

Congratulations on this wonderful milestone! If you have any questions, please visit CPSA’s website or contact our support team at (780) 423-4764 or


Comments for this post are now closed. If you would like to share your feedback on this topic, please email