Register Laser Equipment

In addition to developing accreditation standards and assessing facilities, CPSA registers laser equipment.

About registering laser equipment

Designated radiation equipment emits radiation. Whenever a radiation-emitting device has potentially harmful effects, Section 291.7 of the Occupational Health and Safety Code says it needs to be registered. This includes:

  • diagnostic and therapeutic x-ray equipment
  • therapy simulator equipment
  • particle accelerators
  • analytical and cabinet x-ray equipment
  • physician owned/operated class 3B and 4 lasers where medical services are under a CPSA licensed physician

In Alberta, CPSA is responsible for ensuring the safe delivery of radiation health services for public and community facilities, public dental facilities, medical education facilities podiatry facilities and the Office of the Medical Examiner. We ensure laser equipment in Alberta has been appropriately tested and meets legislated requirements. We register and re-certify equipment, keep a database of registered equipment and follow up on equipment safety concerns when necessary.

Register your equipment

Before designated radiation equipment can be used, you need to register each piece of equipment with us and get a CPSA certificate.

Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency reports

After you apply for registration with CPSA, you need to contact an Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency to arrange onsite testing for each piece of laser equipment.

If they find your equipment is safe to use, they’ll send CPSA a compliance verification report for each piece of equipment. We need these reports to complete your registration.

Once we review your form and the Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency report(s), we’ll determine if we can register your equipment. If we send you a registration certificate, you can start using your equipment. Make sure you keep a copy of the original certificate on-site at the facility in which your equipment is registered.

Re-certify existing equipment

Within the year before your CPSA certificate expires for your laser equipment, you need to have your equipment re-inspected by an Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency.

When the Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency sends us an updated report, we’ll issue you a new certificate.

Tell us about changes to your equipment & facility

If you are you modifying your laser equipment or facility, moving your laser equipment to a new spot in your facility or taking your equipment out of service, please let us know by filling in our notification of change form.

Equipment owner checklist

As the owner of laser equipment, you’re responsible for registering and retesting your equipment, paying fees and letting CPSA know about any changes to your equipment.

Keep this checklist handy so you’re aware of your responsibilities as an owner of laser equipment.

Laser equipment fees

Learn more about facility registration and annual fees.

Laser equipment FAQs

To see more FAQs for Facilities & Clinics, click on All FAQs and filter by "Facilities & Clinics"

All FAQs

Can I register a laser without Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency testing?

If you are renewing your registration and no changes have been made to the laser or facility, you can fill in our paper-based compliance verification report. To register a new laser please contact an Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency and schedule an on-site inspection.

Can a laser be used in more than one room or facility?

Yes, but you need a separate Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency Compliance Verification Report for each location. You must also submit details about each site the laser will be used in.

Note: you pay one registration fee for each facility certificate.

Can individuals other than physicians use lasers for hair removal?

Yes. The laser must still be registered. Please contact Mark Rice, Director (OHS Act) Occupational Health and Safety Program Delivery Branch, for direction at 780-415-2400.

Does CPSA register all laser equipment?

No, we only register class 3b and 4 lasers owned and/or used by CPSA physician members, Alberta Health Services or medical education facilities.

How do I determine if a laser is class 3b or 4?

Your manufacturer instructions should be clear about the laser class of your equipment, but generally:

Class 3b lasers are considered hazardous with direct exposure to the eyes
Class 4 lasers are considered hazardous to the eyes with both direct exposure and indirect exposure

How do I maintain laser equipment registration?

Each year, we’ll send you a profile for active equipment in your facility. You must update all equipment profiles with any information that may have changed and return it to CPSA. In addition, we re-certify equipment every 4 years.

If the manufacturer loans a laser to a facility, who registers the laser?

If it is a long-term loan, the physician should register the laser. If it is a short-term loan, the manufacturer should register it.

Is an Intense Pulse Light a laser?

No, the Intense Pulse Light is a light and does not require registration.

What information do I need to register laser equipment?

For class 3b and 4 lasers, you will need the manufacturer, model and serial number.

When do I have to notify CPSA about changes to my laser equipment?

Any time there is any change to your laser, how or where it is used, you need to notify CPSA. We don’t need to be aware of any routine maintenance.

When is Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency compliance verification testing necessary?

Any time you purchase a new piece of laser equipment, modify existing equipment, renovate your facility, or move existing equipment, you need Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency testing before CPSA will register your equipment.

When will I receive a certificate?

You receive a certificate after we review and are satisfied with the completed laser application form and the Authorized Radiation Health Inspection Agency verification report.


Questions or feedback? We'd love to hear from you.

Phone: 780-423-4764
Toll-free: 1-800-561-3899 (in Canada)
Fax: 780-428-2712