When physicians are employed by cannabis clinics merely to act as “authorizers”, the physician-patient relationship can be undermined. Physicians who work in cannabis clinics must comply with the standards of practice: Cannabis for Medical Purposes, Responsibility for a Medical Practice, Advertising, Patient Record Retention and Conflict of Interest and should be aware of their responsibilities before entering into this type of arrangement.
Individual physicians are responsible for:
- processes used to interview and counsel patients;
- advertising about the indications for medical cannabis;
- information provided about the products;
- clinic fees for providing services; and
- the accurate and secure documentation of the patient record.
If a physician cannot influence the factors above to comply with the standards of practice, s/he should not practice in this clinical setting.