Under Review: No
Issued by Council: January 1, 2010
- For the purpose of this standard, products include, but are not limited to, any product, device or appliance offered for the diagnosis, cure, alleviation or prevention of disease, disorders or injuries in a patient.
- If a regulated member offers products, other than prescription drugs, for sale to a patient, the regulated member must not sell the product at a price in excess of the fair market price paid by the regulated member plus a reasonable handling cost.
- If a regulated member offers products for sale to a patient, the regulated member must, at a minimum, create and maintain records detailing the following:
- the actual cost of the product to the regulated member, including any rebate or price reduction provided to the regulated member;
- the name of the manufacturer and the supplier of the product;
- the date the product was supplied to the regulated member;
- the expiry date of the product, if any; and
- any additional costs incurred by the regulated member, including any formula or calculation used by the regulated member to determine the additional cost added to the price of the product charged to the patient.
About the Standards of Practice
The CPSA Standards of Practice are the minimum standards of professional behaviour and ethical conduct expected of all physicians registered in Alberta. Standards of practice are enforceable under the Health Professions Act and will be referenced in the management of complaints and in discipline hearings.
For questions or archived standards, policies and guidelines contact our Standards of Practice Advisor.