Under the Health Professions Act, the Complaints Director is delegated broad authority with respect to the complaints process, including but not limited to:
- Determining what action to take when a complaint is received.
- Making recommendations regarding interim suspensions or interim practice conditions.
- Conducting investigations or appointing an investigator to conduct an investigation, and making a determination about the complaint based on the results.
- Preparing written reasons if a complaint is dismissed.
- Presenting evidence and making submissions to a Hearing Tribunal.
- Making submissions at an appeal to CPSA Council or to the Alberta Court of Appeal.
The Complaints Director is not available to respond to general complaint inquiries.