Back to All FAQs

I am a primary care physician caring for patients with OUD. Is there a way for me to access expert advice without a referral?

Posted June 4, 2020

You can call the Alberta Health Services (AHS) Referral, Access, Advice, Placement, Information and Destination (RAAPID) call centre to consult with a physician specializing in opioid agonist treatment about your patient’s care.

Expert phone consultations are available from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, including weekends and statutory holidays.

RAAPID North: 1-800-282-9911 for patients north of Red Deer, Alberta
RAAPID South: 1-800-661-1700 for patients in and south of Red Deer

This telephone consultation service is for physicians seeking timely advice regarding prescribing drugs like buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone®), methadone or SROM, as well as treating patients with existing OUD.

You can also submit an eReferral advice request, which is a secure and efficient process within Alberta Netcare for physician-to-physician advice.

Send an advice request when you have a non-urgent question where you are seeking guidance with the management of a patient’s OUD or are wondering if a referral is appropriate. The response target is 5 calendar days.

If urgent advice is needed, contact the Virtual Opioid Dependency Program (AHS) by phone at 1-844-383-7688 or by fax at 403-783-7610