Back to All FAQs

How do I receive an OAT Initiation Approval for methadone, Slow-release Oral Morphine (SROM) or Injectable Opioid Agonist Therapy (iOAT)?

Posted June 4, 2020
  1. Complete an approved educational training program (e.g., Alberta ODT Virtual Training Program, British Columbia Centre on Substance Use (BCCSU)–Provincial Opioid Addiction Treatment Support Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)–Opioid Dependence Treatment Certificate Program.
  2. If you complete the Alberta program, they will forward a certificate of completion to CPSA.
  3. If you complete a program other than the Alberta ODT Virtual Training Program, you will need to provide CPSA with a OAT Initiation Approval and your certificate of program completion in addition to evidence of experiential training, supervision or mentorship.
  4. CPSA will review your completion certificate and evidence of experiential training, if required, and provide a letter of approval.
  5. Once you have received CPSA OAT Initiation Approval confirmation, you can begin prescribing an OAT.