This will depend largely on the reason for your request. As long as the disclosure is not contrary to the express wishes of the patient, Alberta’s Health Information Act permits the release of certain medical information to close family members when it relates to:
- A descendant’s medical care
- The administration of a deceased patient’s estate
To obtain the records:
- Contact the physician’s office (if known) and provide them with a written request. The physician’s office will require the reason for your request and proof of your authority to obtain the records.
- For more information:
- Contact CPSA at 1-800-561-3899 ext. 4926 or email firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Refer to Alberta’s Health Information Act, or
- Contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner at 780-422-6860 or 1-888-878-4044.