Back to All FAQs

Can a physician bill me if I don’t have a valid Alberta Health Care number?

Posted October 1, 2020

Yes, but a physician cannot make you pay for emergency care in advance.

Note: If you have been in Alberta for more than three months, you should have your own Alberta Health Care number. If you moved to Alberta from another Canadian province or territory within the last three months, your physician can bill the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan for your care and be reimbursed by another province (except Quebec).